Welcome to Hawkswood Therapeutic School. We are a small school with big dreams and aspirations, serving all secondary schools in the London Borough of Waltham Forest and other surrounding boroughs.
We offer a short-term therapeutic and educational intervention (typically two terms) for children aged 11-16 who are struggling with tier 2/3 mental health needs. The core curriculum and therapeutic offer is delivered by a dedicated team which includes:
- Subject teachers
- Learning support coaches
- Student social workers
- Trainee Art Therapist
- On-site CAMHS practitioners
Staff engage pupils in active learning, personalising outcomes to enable re-engagement in learning and supporting pupils to develop personal, social, cognitive and creative skills and improving wellbeing.
Our integrated SEND provision provides short-term therapeutic and educational intervention for pupils aged 11-16 who have a statement of special educational needs (SEN), and concomitant tier 2/3 mental health needs.
Our aim is to support pupils with acute mental health needs to better understand and manage their mental health so that they can confidently either return to mainstream school or a long term specialist provision.
At Hawkswood we understand the pressures and stresses involved in managing mental health needs. We aim to support parents as well as pupils in making positive changes that lead to better outcomes both in terms of mental health management and academic progress.
We believe that every day is a learning day, not just for pupils, but also for staff and the school itself. We are always developing and exploring the best ways to support children and families. We have changed the way we learn at Hawkswood this year and are excited about the development of our outdoor spaces. In 2021, we will be embedding our holistic curriculum, bringing the indoors out and the outdoors in!
We are hugely proud of our school, the progress pupils make and the life changing transformations we see when our pupils graduate. We welcome visitors who wish to see the school in action – please do contact us if you would like to know more.
Thank you for visiting our website, please feel free to look around to learn more about our awesome school.
Nathalie Fitzgerald Sarah Smith
Headteacher Deputy Headteacher Secondary
Aims, Values and Ethos
Aims and Objectives
The aims of our school curriculum are:
- To engage and support pupils to regularly attend school.
- To enable all pupils to learn and develop their skills applying a growth mindset.
- To develop positive and aspirational attitudes towards learning both immediate and lifelong.
- To ensure that pupils develop the basic skills of literacy numeracy skills through targeted support.
- To enable pupils to develop their creative potential and to communicate thoughts emotions and ideas.
- To develop an understanding of the evolving world and key issues that affect environmental change.
- To help pupils understand Britain’s cultural heritage and become positive and aspirational citizens.
- To support progression to post 16 and or reintegrate back to an appropriate setting.
- To support pupils in developing a strong moral compass and an awareness of their own personal development.
- To develop the ability to overcome challenges and develop self-belief and independence.
The curriculum at Hawkswood Therapeutic School provides for a range of activities and interventions to enrich pupils experiences, and address the challenges pupils may face. There is an emphasis on the balance of academic knowledge and development and the learning of emotional and mental wellness, which together prepare the pupils for life beyond school
We aim to empower our pupils to become more responsible citizens. We aspire to use all the talents and abilities they have been gifted with and to achieve outcomes that will make a real difference not just their individual worlds but to the wider world around them. Our staff and pupils are currently redefining our school values, following the significant changes which have occurred over the last 2 years.
Contacting Hawkswood Therapeutic
The school office is open between 8.00 am and 4.00 pm. Outside office hours, you can leave a message on the school answer phone. For paper copies of any information published on our website, please contact our Office Manager, Carole Coleman.
0208 289 4642
Headteacher (& DSL): Nathalie Fitzgerald – firstname.lastname@example.org
Deputy Headteacher (& DSL): Sarah Smith – email@example.com
Lead Therapist (&DDSL): Ruth Peters – firstname.lastname@example.org
SENDCO: Lucy Mattison – email@example.com
Office Manager: Carole Coleman – firstname.lastname@example.org