How can staff improve outcomes for traumatised children?
- create relationships with children
- create a safe and caring classroom and school environment
- be predictable
- make each child especially the ones with challenges feel valued
- set up a safe place in class where students can calm themselves
- teach children about the brain
- teach children ways to calm themselves down and self regulate
- build a support system using focusing on loving support rather than punitive consequences
- Use visual aids and social stories eg ‘school bubble’
- be aware of your own self care so you can model wellness and be calm yourself as you deal with difficult behaviours
Students should complete the work set by each subject based on the following time allocations:
- 8 hours per week for English and Maths
- 6 hours per week for all other subjects
- Complete 2 SMSC Powerpoints per week
It is vital that pupils complete the work provided by their teachers to ensure that they are continuing to learn in line with the National Curriculum, avoiding gaps in knowledge, and so they are prepared for any assessments later in the year.
Look at the Independent learning tips below:
There is a free digital library called readON providing the safest and most effective way for children to read from home. This is free access to a digital library of over 5000 books, free to use immediately for all students in our school.
Useful online learning resources
We’re proud to create educational resources that can be used at each step of a child’s learning journey. All Twinkl resources can be used by anyone, anywhere – making learning accessible to all. Our resources provide entire schemes of work, lesson planning and assessments right through to online educational games, augmented reality and so much more.
To support you during this period, Twinkl is offering every parent in England access to all Twinkl resources with a One Month Ultimate Membership, totally free of charge so your children can still have access to high-quality resources during this period of disruption.
Free account set up:
Setting this up is really easy to do – go to www.twinkl.co.uk/offer and enter the code UKTWINKLHELPS